Emergency Plan: STUDENTS
Follow these steps when responding to disasters/emergencies that affect the materials in Special Collections:
1. Evacuate immediately if your personal safety is in danger
2. Remain calm!
3. Immediately notify a supervisor
**If the Sapphire System alarm sounds:
- If you hear a single beep from the smoke detector:
Þ Evacuate, tell a supervisor if you are near them
- If you hear a double beep (fast succession of beeps):
Þ You have 30 seconds to EXIT AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE
- If you have a minor injury, the First Aid Kit is located in Room 110, on the shelves by the sign-in table
- If a patron or coworker is in need of immediate medical attention:
Þ Report the emergency: Call Library Security at x52331
Þ Provide information about the nature of the problem, your name, location and phone number.
Þ Do not hang up. Keep an open phone line until emergency response personnel arrive.
Þ If you are trained, give first aid.
Þ Do not move the person.
Þ Have someone meet and escort medical personnel to the person.
Damage to materials from water:
- Inform the Curator, Librarian, Archivist or Technician on duty
- Wait until trained personnel arrive before handling damaged collection materials
Do not re-enter the area until you have permission from the authorities!
Albin O. Kuhn Library & Gallery . University of Maryland, Baltimore County . 1000 Hilltop Circle . Baltimore MD 21250
(410) 455-2232. Questions and comments to: Web Services Librarian